“Alas,” said the mouse, “the whole world is growing smaller every day. At the beginning it was so big that I was afraid, I kept running and running, and I was glad when I saw walls far away to the right and left, but these long walls have narrowed so quickly that I am in the last chamber already, and there in the corner stands the trap that I must run into.”
“You only need to change your direction,” said the cat, and ate it up.
The Cat & the Mouse – Franz Kafka
We all know WHY the elections are ridiculous –
• We have fresh blood on the streets – everybody’s been busy in battle.
• Nobody has had time to study the process OR the candidates.
• Even university graduates don’t understand the process.
• Treason law has been issued, but far too late to be used this time.
• They are a logistical DISASTER as outlined by @Egyptocracy in this document here – http://bit.ly/uwHnpb
• Emergency Law is still active. That simply means the ruling authority in the country itself doesn’t believe conditions are ‘appropriate’.
However, more importantly, perhaps – apart from that, we need to consider the actual implications on the revolution and the revolutionaries, and the impact that our participation will have on the public discourse as well as our dialogue with the populace as a whole.
To All Those Who Value the Revolution – I believe we are being led into a trap, one very similar to that portrayed in that little story by Kafka.
My points are these, collected from some tweets I wrote today after two lengthy conversations with friends on both sides of the issue during which I was considering whether or not my position is sound or simply self-indulgent.
All political parties that participate in #EgyElections are implicitly betting on the revolution failing, and the people will sense that.
If you’re doing something out of desperation, please stop, take a step back, and think. It’s almost always the wrong thing. #EgyElections
If you think u’re fighting a battle on 2 fronts, u’re not. U’re giving them ammo to use against u – at the expense of ur integrity.
Participating in #EgyElections then going to #Tahrir means you do so with less integrity and consistency, and that’s all you’ve ever had
ALL we’ve had is our integrity. Against soldiers, gas, and bullets. If you give that up, you have NOTHING. I cannot participate in #EgyElections.